Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Bike Ride in Pics

This is where I actually pick up the trail. I begin my ride about 2miles before this at the Kroger store cut across the golf course, through Rivers Bend community and take this connecting trail to the main trail. It's hard to judge the slope of this hill, but I normally hit 30-32 mph, then have to brake hard and turn right onto the main trail.








Not much to say here. Going north from the connector trail to the Lebanon Countryside leg. Click on the pic and you will see the sign says Lebanon "this way", left.


On the Lebanon trail the first thing you come to is the converted old railway bridge over the Little Miami River. Like always, as you can see, traffic is really bad here. :-)....





Approaching the Mason-Morrow Rd intersection.











That's I-71 up ahead. I'm usually cruising along at about 12-14 mph here, which is about average for me. I don't think I'll ever set any speed records, except for going down hill. More on that later......






After passing by the industrial area on Kingsview Rd, I cross what I call Turtle Creek. I don't know if thats the name of the creek or not, but it runs along Turtle Creek Rd. The trail turns left here, and begins an upward slope. Its a killer.









Pictures can't show the grade, but this is about half way up the hill and the beginning of the pain......








...this view is from the top of the hill looking back down. Riding up I average about 3-3.5 mph. Going down I range between 35 and 42. I've tried to beat 42 but physics is not on my side. Too much wind resistance I guess. After work on this ride, at about 1am, I was cruising down this hill at about 35 when a dare devil raccoon crossed my path. I missed him but not by too much. That's the first time I've passed any animal actually on the hill itself. Moving on.....





....Just a nice view. The wind is usually blowing across this high, open area. 50/50 chance it's in your favor......










.......this area is especially nice in late spring when things are blooming and really green......












.. about another mile up the trail there are a lot of fields. On this day, I spotted a wild turkey. He saw me first and was running, fast, toward the brush line. He has a nice beard, it's a little hard to see, but it's there.







...Looking for greener pastures? In this case the grass is definitely greener "over there". How does this view compare with what you normally see on your drive to work...












......I like going down hill....













....the trail has quite a few easy slopes...













...approaching the Countryside YMCA, on the right with the blue awnings....












...just left the trail. This is Deerfield Road looking north. The Y is just behind me on the left. On this stretch you can see that on both sides of the road there is a bike lane. Like any road, traffic depends on the time of day I pass through.









...still looking north, on Deerfield just north of S. East St.












...now north on S. Mechanic St. The houses here are very big, very old, and mostly very pretty. This is a great slope down all the way to South Street. A great time to rest. I'm getting pretty close to work now....








... east bound on South St, passing the Lebanon Railway downtown area of Lebanon....












..the view north from the intersection of South and Broadway. The Lebanon Public Library is on the left, ahead in the center of the picture is the City/Town Hall building. That's pretty much the center of town..... almost to work now....









... this is the rear entry of the department off of Sycamore. The large building on the left is "my" garage where I keep my bike parked. I also let them store the SWAT vehicles and a bunch of other stuff in there....






AND FINALLY, WHAT YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR.......
a picture of the fancy machine that gets me there. It is a Giant brand, Cypress ST. Odometer is from Walmart, the lights from Amazon, the bags are a hodge podge of what was available in the basement. The only accessory that was pricy was the Brooks b66 seat (more on Brooks later). Well, this posting was about as difficult as the actual ride is. Hope you found it interesting. God bless........ k











1 comment:

  1. That was fun and probably about as close as I'll ever get to taking that ride! I don't know how you do it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete