Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Biking and Spring

If spring is not here, its pretty close. As such, I finally carried the bicycle up from the basement and loaded it up for my ride to work. Here's the routine; check the pressure in the tires, make sure I have my tool bag and spare tube in case of a flat on the way, check the weather and dress accordingly (I can handle anything above freezing with out too much trouble. Below freezing with a wind and things get pretty cold), pack a lunch and put it in the trunk (the bag on the back), make sure my light battery is charged and in it's holder on the frame, and, make sure I have a water bottle also in a holder on the frame. I load the bike in the back of the truck and drive to Kroger where I can leave it parked in a relatively safe, well lit area for the night.

From Kroger I cut through the Rivers Bend Golf Course, where I sometimes get yelled at by rich old crabby men about the cart path not being a bike path,,,, like i don't know that. Sorry for the inconvenience gentlemen, but it takes me about 3 minutes to ride from the green of one hole to the tee of the previous hole. Geez. And besides, I'm helping to save the planet so their precious course can stay green :-).

Once off the cart path, I cut through the Rivers Bend community. One of the cul-du-sac streets connects with the Little Miami Scenic Trail which I ride for about a half a mile where it connects with the Lebanon Countryside Trail. From there I ride north, cross the Little Miami river and continue peddling all the way to the YMCA where I leave the trail and ride through mostly residential areas into Lebanon to work. It is about 9 miles from the Kroger to the department and though I sometimes get tired of the same scenery, it really does beat dealing with the idiots on the road. Having said that, the really big draw back to riding to work is,,,,,, yep, riding home after work.

I'm currently working the afternoon shift, 1600-0000. This is why it's imperative my headlight battery is fully charged and functioning (I use a Nightpro Kamikaze 2 lamp system which works perfectly for my needs). Riding home on the trail between midnight and 0100 is DARK. It's really cool though. Last night I passed at least a dozen deer, one stubborn opossum and a rabbit who actually tried to t-bone me (for real, maybe he was drunk).

I'm planning to take my camera with me and take some pictures of my journey, or maybe even a video someday. Anyway, I'll share some more about my bike, equipment, etc as time permits.

Hava great day.

phil 4;6

No comments:

Post a Comment